Directions to Loevestein Castle
Beware: Route planners and GPS systems often fail to locate Loevestein properly. We recommend that you follow the directions given below.
By Car from Breda/Gorinchem
- A27 motorway
- Exit 22 Nieuwendijk/Woudrichem
- N322 trunk road towards Zaltbommel
- Loevestein exit – immediately after lock over dammed Maas river
By Car from Utrecht/'s-Hertogenbosch
- A2 motorway
- Exit 17 Zaltbommel
- N322 trunk road towards Brakel
- Loevestein exit – immediately after Brakel & Poederoijen
Loevestein Castle has its own parking facilities. Parking is free of charge and is about a ten-minute walk from the castle.
Disabled visitors are permitted to drive all the way into the fort.
- The Riveer ferry service ferries passengers between the fortress towns of Gorinchem and Woudrichem, Loevestein Castle and Fort Vuren (ferry timetable).
- You can order a water taxi just like a regular taxi by calling +31 (0)6 22 558233 (more information)
- From September to June, the passenger ferry between Woudrichem and Loevestein operates from Tuesday to Friday from 10.30 a.m. to 5.30 p.m. and at the weekend from 12.30 and 5.30 p.m.
In July and August, the passenger ferry operates every day from 10.30 a.m. to 5.30 p.m.
For more information, visit the www.voetveerwoudrichem.nl website*.
*Site only available in Dutch
By Public Transport
Loevestein Castle is difficult to reach by bus or train. Regiotaxi can transport you from Zaltbommel station to Loevestein. Please book taxis at least an hour in advance by calling 0900-0276.
Alternatively, take the train to Gorinchem. From the station, it’s a twenty-minute walk to the harbour where you can take the ferry or a water taxi (see above).